Saturday, July 7, 2012

A Personal Gift

Many years ago, a close friend of mine gave me a very special gift for a birthday.   Because she knew it was my favorite dessert, she simply made me a plate of Rice Krispie Treats.   It was such a small act, but it meant so much to me.   Even to this day, I remember it as one of the best birthday gifts I ever got.  It showed that she really knew me and wasn't concerned about money or anything, but wanted to get me a gift that I would love.  Something personal.  

Tonight I was sitting watching TV in my living room.   One of my twin boys was scared, so I let him come sleep on the couch by me.   A few hours later, the other twin woke up and wanted to know why he wasn't allowed to sleep on the couch.   As I was holding him in my arms and watching the other one asleep on the couch, I was overcome with gratitude.   When God gave me twins, He gave me such a personal gift.   I have always had this fascination with twins.   I kind of assumed it was in everyone, and to some point I think it is.   When I married my husband, an identical twin, I thought it was ironic.   I put some sort of connection between my fascination and the fact that I ended up marrying Him.   Knowing God and that He has a plan for me, it's very easy to put a connection there.   

Once I started having kids, I wanted twins, more for the fact that it was a "two for one" sale.   Two babies, nine months, what could be more perfect?   When it didn't happen the first or second pregnancy, I thought it just wasn't going to happen.   I'm not even sure I expected it with the first or second, but I think I had my hopes up that one day the doctor would say, "oh look, it's twins".   It wasn't the slightest bit of an expectation by my fourth pregnancy.   If anything, we were having a fourth to even things up and be done.  

The point is, I feel like they are such a gift from God.   Not just a blessing like other things, but a personal gift suited just to my personality straight from God.   Just like those Rice Krispie Treats given to me for my birthday.  

What a personal and amazing God He is.   It's amazing when you feel like God, the creator of the universe, has reached down from heaven and done, or spoken, or given something directly to you.  You!  A measly speck in the span of all time.   He is amazing and worthy to be praised!

No comments: