Thursday, January 17, 2013

A hospital for sinners

I read this quote on Facebook today.  

"Church is not a museum for saints, it is a hospital for sinners."

At first glance, I thought this was a cool quote and then went on my way.   Funny thing is I've been thinking on it ever since.   I don't think the church as a whole treats our buildings, ministry, vision like we are treating sick people.   I feel like, at least in my own eyes, that we try to keep things clean and orderly, similar to a brand new hospital opening up.   But guess what when the sick people come, things get messy, it may even get chaotic at times until the patient is stable and on the path to healing.   Sometimes we shelter ourselves, our kids, everything from "the world".   I liken that to a nurse who is afraid to go to work for fear that she will get sick.   Sometimes you just gotta do what the job calls for.  We took on this job when we became Christians.   Jesus gave us the great commission.   Yes, we will stumble and make mistakes.   We may even fall flat on our faces, but that is what God gave us grace for.   If we want this hospital to be successful we need to call in the sick from every corner and be willing to get messy!   I have been struck with renewed passion to find the sick.  

"The harvest is many, but the workers are few"  Matthew 9:37

No comments: