Wednesday, August 8, 2012

It's Not About Me

I'm in a funk.   When everything from the day finally slows down in the evening, I get these minutes to myself, time to think... and the war begins.   I've been having this internal struggle lately about what I feel God has called me to and what I "think" I want to do.   I say "think" because the reality is the grass is greener on the other side and if I was truly doing those things, I wouldn't be any happier.   For sure.   And yet, I feel so discontented by my current situation.   Sometimes there are good days.   But all too often I'm driven by the in the moment frustration and think back to "brighter" days.  

My son has been dealing with similar issues.   He would like to do what he wants, when he wants and how he wants.   In this family, THAT is just not possible.   I keep reminding him, "THIS IS NOT ABOUT YOU!!!"   Life is not about what YOU want!   Yes, sometimes life stinks!  But it really isn't about making US happy.  

So as I sit here in my funk, I take a dose of my own medicine.   This is what God wants for the betterment of my children and my family.   It's about time I let go of some of the pride and selfishness that is in my heart and faithfully and cheerfully serve my family.   It's not easy but I know blessing will come from it.  

It's so good to have a God that reminds us of these things.    The good thing is when I get in these funks, it really does draw me to Him.   I need Him for strength.   I need to rest in his presence to be recharged.   I need to continue to learn to trust Him.   I need to remember that Jesus was a servant to all.  I need to remember, it's not about me, it's about HIM!

No comments: